Tuesday's Photo of the Week


Another blast from the past as I documented the work of doctors at a clinic in Rwanda in 1994 after the genocide. I knew I needed a dramatic overall image of the clinic compound formed by tents that appear as alien craft, and shot a couple of evenings as insurance to be sure I had it. It didn't hurt that it rained for a but almost every day, producing sometimes interesting skies, and that some of the taller mountains in Africa resided to the north on the border with Congo (then Zaire) to make it a little more interesting. It was the place that inspired me to pursue NGO work as an integral part of my photographic diet.

It seems, these days Rwanda is more peaceful but the Democratic Republic of Congo continued to be fractured by numerous regional conflicts within the vast country. Rwanda was a profound turning point for my career and as a result, later work to me to the same spot on earth in a village known as Buranga, 13 years later in 2007. The kids are actually standing about where I stood, but the landscape is growing back and obscuring the house, just above the children's heads.

Comments