More than we give

Among the coolest things photographers get to do is to witness good works and bring them before the eyes of the rest of the world. Around Christmastime for me that means photographing, for example, things like soldiers arriving home after a long deployment and kids receiving new bikes.
Mike gives away another bike


For the second year, I have spent several Saturday mornings in December helping out the Pedal Power Foundation by documenting their work in Phoenix an Tempe.

This year Mike McIlroy, his wife Amy and their crew gave away 275 bicycles to kids through a Tempe school and various Boys and Girls clubs in Phoenix.

Excitement hung in the air as kids stared at the field of blue, green, pink, red, and yellow bikes challenged them to restrain themselves while Tempe and Phoenix police officers demonstrated proper adjustment of bike helmets and as Mike said a few words about Pedal Power.

Fitting a helmet
And then kids were called by name or by group to receive their brand new bikes. The elation, the pure joy of the kids had me grinning like an idiot as I photographed kids receiving their new wheels.

It is possible that some may had never smiled so much and so wide, while others, I could tell, were just too stunned with "is this real, is this bike mine?" written all over their faces.

When I find orgs like this that become a part of my volunteer portfolio, the orgs are always very grateful to have professional photographs of what they do. They may not have otherwise had access to much more than snapshots.

Rules of the Road
I once worked an assignment for AmeriCares, documenting their volunteer doctors treating the sick and injured in a field clinic in Rwanda just after the genocide in 1994. On this shoot, I interviewed the doctors and nurses about what they did and why they did it. John Benson, a nurse and jack of all trades, said that while what he did was important, he suggested,  "I think I get more than I give," for his work with patients and in his play with the orphan kids who lived in the camp.

At the B&G club, the distribution was done, the club personnel and Mike's crew were all smiles. I helped pack up the truck with the leftover bikes (they bring a few extras in different sizes just in case) and headed out. As I drove away I saw no less than five kids cruising around the neighborhood on their new bikes with permanent smiles plastered on their faces.

Don't tell Mike, but I may get more than I give.

Comments