The Joy of Teaching my favorite craft.

I spent my Saturday morning talking about one of my favorite things. Photography, of course.
The Fountain Hills Photo Club asked me to put a workshop together, to help some folks with their foundations in the discipline that I am lucky enough to earn a living with.
I can prepare for weeks trying to be sure that the explanations are clear to folks for whom f/stops and shutter speeds are not second nature, but, unless they are eager, I will not be as effective as I always strive to be in teaching.
I have to thank all of you who were there for asking great questions and not letting me off the hook until you were sure you understood each concept.
I and some of my professional friends say that we do not make photographs all by ourselves. We make them WITH our subjects. It is this collaboration of subject and photographer that often make better photographs.
I think that the same is true when teaching. I try to be sure everyone understands a concept before we move on, but it is those who keep asking the questions until they get it, who help to make these workshops effective.
Thanks!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Invite ME to the next one! As much as i love to take pictures, i know almost nothing about the mechanics. Nice job.
Lisa V.