Auto-graphic

Karen and Shane Mustoe take care of all of their client's vintage and exotic car needs at Brighton Motorsports 
Bob Bové grew his business from two to 54
service facilities that changes oil and maintains
other vital fluids and filters through his Jiffy Lube
franchise in the Valley.

          It's been a very busy summer, perhaps the busiest in ten years, and it is creating a renaissance of sorts for my portfolio and the look of my commercial work.

          One client has my work all fired up, sending me all over the Valley featuring their many business clients who talk about their positive experiences with National Bank of Arizona.

          By now we have all found "Shark Week" to be a part of mainstream vernacular. In July it seems I was in the midst of "Auto Week",  photographing local businesses who sell, fix and restore and maintain everyday, vintage and exotic cars, keeping the gas fires burning, the rubber on the road and vital fluids flowing.

          It has been a great ride so far, working with incredible and successful business owners in the valley and elsewhere in Arizona as they welcome my gear and I, doing their level best to give as much time and space as possible to make some images that showcase their companies.

         It is my belief that you should always be trying to improve. Every shoot, every frame.
Howard and Pat Fleischmann operate five Community Tire auto repair
shops in the valley. Although tires are a part of their name, the Fleischmanns'
shops are primarily auto repair centers.
How many lights do you think this one took? (not including sunlight!)
          Sometimes improvements are subtle. Sometimes they're more noticable and take the image to a new level. Sometimes from my perspective it will take some time before I appreciate the result that was great although perhaps not what I was thinking about when I began.

Tom Higginbothom continues to grow the Sun Devil Auto repair shop his
father started in 1978 with new shops in Las Vegas and Austin.
          In any case with each shoot I keep trying to change it up, do something different. Sometimes it's subtle, like making sure there is enough light in the mechanic in the background. Sometimes it makes the image, like the hidden light that washes along the side of the truck (below) to make the paint and the chrome really pop.

Shane Mustoe and crew install a
rebuilt engine in a classic muscle car.
How DOES one wrap light around the firewall of the car to get into the faces of the mechanics?
Making the business pictures is about being a little different. I'm grateful to Pat Fleischmann who had not problem risking the white pants to make a fun picture.


Comments