When work is entertaining, is it still work?


As I turn to direct the next couple into the background-decked corner bathed in perfectly aimed White Lightning strobes, I have no idea what I will find as my assistant Amy checks in the next couple.
Another portrait right?
Sure, but every time I finished with one subject and turned to invite my next to the environment, I was disarmed by their imagination, class, outrageousness or a combination of the three.
First, the super-volunteer woman at church dressed in an outfit that is part lounge singer, part Elvis and a little Tony Soprano crew-member, then a very dapper couple, the husband with a top-hat. Then appears an 80’s hip-hop star look-alike with an alarm clock around his neck and a couple dressed to the nines in orange.
As I did this, my other assistants, former photography student Jen and colleague and pro photographer, Steve, slaved away processing and printing the pictures, trying to keep up with the party that spilled through our door, one couple at a time.
When I mentioned to another colleague my pro-bono work last Saturday for the Welcome to America Project Prom, their eyes turned to the ceiling as they remembered having to cover proms as news events for small-town newspapers. I knew that look. I had worn it more than once, wondering about the news value of such an event during the first couple years of my news career.
I assured them the satisfaction of not only helping a great organization pull off a fun event, but the simple joy and entertainment of repeated gut-laughs derived from working with 200 fun people who choose to help this organization make a difference.
This is one prom, I will never get tired of working. Thanks, Carolyn for the opportunity, and thanks to those who attended for the great time. And thanks on behalf of WTAP for your great generosity. You make the difference in making refugees feel welcome in their new homes.

Also a special thanks to Stephanie for the generous loan of her laptop and printer.


GREAT NEWS!
In a separate note, Carolyn has been recognized by CNN Heroes. This from WTAP:
We proudly announce that CNN has named Carolyn Manning, Founder and Director of The Welcome to America Project, a CNN Hero of 2009.

CNN bestows this international honor on a handful of individuals from around the world each year.

Please take a moment to click through and view Carolyn's story online, and see the powerful impact that she and her organization have on the lives of refugee families here in Phoenix: http://www.cnn.com/heroes

The story will be online all year, and will be broadcast on CNN and its affiliates this weekend as follows:
(times listed are EST broadcast times; check local listings for Arizona times)

FRIDAY
CNN: 9-10p Larry King Live Interview
CNN: 8a, 11a, 2p
Headline News: 7:30a, 1:30p, 5p, 8p
CNN International: 2a, 7a, 12p, 8p

SATURDAY
CNN: 10a, 2p, 5p, 11p
Headline News: 2p

Comments

Unknown said…
Rick, we have just as much fun having you as our photographer! You are the best!!! Carolyn
Pat Shannahan said…
That looked like a lot of fun to shoot. I like the guy in the baby blue tux. Good stuff!!